Monday, August 13, 2012

My 7 Favourite Movies of All-Time

A practice I have, and I may have mentioned it before, is that, after I watch a movie, I always go rate it on IMDB. This has two uses. Firstly, I know exactly what movies I've watched. Secondly, when I look back maybe 2-3 years on, I'll know what I thought about that movie right after I watched the movie. The first point is just a matter of, for lack of a better word, documentation. The second point is the key one. It gives me a benchmark against which to measure should I watch the movie again. For some movies, I've upgraded the rating after the second viewing (The School of Rock - Original 7.5, Current 8.5) and for some movies, I've downgraded the rating (I Love You, Man - Original 8.0, Current 7.0).

For most movies I like, I tend to watch them more than once be it at the movie theater (Dark Knight - 5 times) or on DVDs (Dead Poet's Society - innumerable) and so, I tend to rate them several times. The pantheon, obviously, is those movies which are 10/10. But, just like in sports, anybody can climb to the mountain peak once. The difficulty is remaining on the peak. Thus, for me to claim a movie as an all-time favourite, I have to watch the movie again and again, while still keeping its rating as 10/10. And so, we have this list! My Favourite Movies of All-Time. There are 7 in total, sorted by the year in which they were released.

The King's Speech (2010)


You will notice that, for the most part, my favourite movies tend to revolve around two themes:- Coming of age and Manifesting destiny (I like the term, I'm not referring to the actual historical event). And so, when a King comes into his Throne and has to overcome a debilitating fear to lead his nation and to give his people hope, you see why this appeals to me. I thought the whole tone of the movie was brilliantly done, keeping it very gloomy but with a hint of optimism. This was complemented by wonderful acting by Colin Firth as the troubled in an understated way King and Geoffrey Rush as the enigmatic Lionel Logue. To see the King's personal development throughout the movie (a sort of coming of age thing) explicated in such a meaningful way gave this movie real character. And, at the end, when the King nailed his speech, Colin Firth did a great job acting out a person who knows he's the shit but knows he needs to remain dignified. A gracious champion.

Themes: Friendship, Coming of Age, Manifesting Destiny, Grace under Fire

The Dark Knight (2008)


I've covered this a little in my earlier Dark Knight Rises post, but I'll touch on it a bit more here. I've always firmly believed that The Dark Knight is not a superhero movie, but a movie about the human condition and crime masquerading as a superhero movie. The Joker, as a self-described agent of chaos, introduces moral dilemmas for both our hero and the people of Gotham just to see what people would do. Would people be selfish? Can you destroy a ship full of innocent people just to save yourselves (I'd argue here that the convicts in this case are actually innocent for this context)? Would you kill a man just to save a loved one in a potentially exploding hospital? Would you cave to the whims of a terrorist just to save more people from dying? The story was so elegant and so complete. Well, except for that time when Bats leaped out the window in Wayne Towers to save Rachel and the Joker and his crew mysteriously disappeared. And, of course, that's not even including the immaculate acting by all involved.

Themes: Human Condition, Crime, Moral Limits, Coming of Age, Hope

The Return of the King (2003)


The epic conclusion of my second favourite fictional book of all-time. I don't even really know how to describe this movie. There's just too many things that stood out for me. The Frodo-Sam friendship (If we have one friend like Sam Gamgee in our lives, we are set for life). Merry's heartfelt speech to Eowyn on the way to Gondor. Eowyn and Merry vanquishing the Witch King of Angmar. The Battle of the Pelennor (thought I think Helm's Deep was a better battle scene). Merry and Pippin's separation in Minas Tirith. "For Frodo." The beacons of Amon Din. "My friends, you bow to no one." The Grey Havens and the parting of the hobbits. Sacrificing for the greater good.

Maybe it's best if I just capture it with this quote from, who else, Gandalf:-

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to will. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule."

Themes: Friendship, Manifest Destiny, Coming of Age, Bro-Love, Grace under Fire, Courage, The Greater Good, Sacrifice, Hope.

October Sky (1999)


For those of us who are fortunate, there has come a time in our life where we see something or we hear about something or we read something or whatever that makes us go, "That is the most inspiring thing I have ever come across." Meet Homer Hickam and the Rocket Boys. When Homer sees the Sputnik orbiting the earth in the October night sky, that's exactly what he feels. Awe. Wonder. Passion. October Sky is the story of how the Rocket Boys overcome adversity after adversity (a bit cliche, to be fair) just to get the opportunity to chase their passions. From disapproving families to a hopeless town to a lack of funds to a cynical principal, October Sky details, in wonderful form, how the Rocket Boys overcome all of that. It also shows how powerful just one selfless, inspiring teacher can be in your lives. One person who pushes you to chase whatever the hell passion you want to chase and that, "Sometimes, you really can't listen to what anybody else says."

Themes: Friendship, Coming of Age, Manifesting Destiny, Hope, Chasing Passions

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)



In 1994, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump and the Shawshank Redemption all came out. In 1995, the Academy Awards chose to give the Best Picture award to Forrest Gump. Now, if you could watch only one movie out of these three movies, my guess is that you would not pick Forrest Gump. But, you know, that's life, shit happens. And shit certainly happened for Red and Andy Dufresne in Shawshank. This movie alone scared me the hell out of a life of crime - I cannot imagine going to prison. I don't know if real life prison is as it was pictured in the Shawshank Redemption, but the sense of hopelessness and the sense of despair that the movie portrayed of prison life were permanently etched in my brain. I am NEVER letting myself go to prison. But despite the somber and depressing tone of the movie throughout, the movie is fantastic at giving glimmers of hope through the movie. The scene where Andy blasts classical music and the inmates all look up to the speakers, enjoying that rare moment of beauty and art in a hellhole still gives me chills. How the inmates banded together to help each other live and go through every miserable day. And that says nothing of how fricking cool Andy Dufresne must have had to be in planning his salvation. One mistake or one unlucky jail check and he's undone. Every single day, he had to keep himself calm and collected amidst the overwhelming fear that someone might discover what he was doing. And, in the end, as Red narrates, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Themes: Friendship, Hope

The Dead Poet's Society (1989)


Of all my favourite movies, this movie is probably the most-watched. By that notion, I'd say that this movie is the top of the pantheon - it's my favourite movie of all-time. Of all the movies, it's probably the most "Coming-of-Age" of them all. Plus, it has a redemption in tragedy ending. I've never really been a fan of happy endings for the sake of happy endings. I think an ending has to fit the story. And I think the Dead Poet's Society (also a bloody cool name, in all fairness) does this brilliantly. Along the way, we see the triumph of the human spirit and a teacher who dares his students to dream (much like October Sky). The gorgeous Delaware scenery is also a fantastic part of the movie. The bit where Knox cycles out of Welton to go see the girl he likes had some of the most amazing scenery I've ever seen. In fact, if I could just spend a day anywhere just watching the scenery, that would be one of my top choices. And so, with the evolution of characters as well as a screenplay that is beyond reproach, the Dead Poet's Society tops my list. Ever.

Themes: Coming of Age, Chasing Passions, Friendship, Redemption

The Godfather (1972)


I've covered this movie a bit as well in my greatest trilogies post. The movie is a long one. But it's well worth your time. Not only do you get to see the infinitely cunning yet uber classy Don Vito Corleone (played spectacularly by Marlon Brando), you get to see (and this is my favourite bit) the descending evolution of Michael Corleone from war hero (and the family's hope to be a Senator or Governor) into the new Don of the Corleone family. He becomes a sort of tragic hero, a little like Feanor from the Tolkein legendarium. Also, the movie has the greatest scene I have ever watched - the Baptism scene. Where Michael Corleone settles all family business. The story is intricately woven and is compelling every step of the way. The characters are also colourful - the anger-management-challenged Santino Corleone, the loyal-to-the-bone Tom Hagen, the timid-choker-in-the-clutch Fredo Corleone. They all play major roles in making this movie work. And what a piece of work.

Themes: Loyalty, Family, Tragic Heroism

No comments: