Saturday, February 2, 2013

On Research

I honestly have been trying to figure out ways in which to write about this quote I heard recently while at Davos, but I don't really know how best to say it. Though I generally consider myself to express myself best through writing, I couldn't find the words to say (in all honesty) to best describe what I think and how I feel about the quote. But, I will say that, in essence, this is why research, particularly the research of new ideas - whether in biology, psychology, anthropology, literature or my own field, economics - is so fricking exciting for me. The quote, by Larry Summers, is as follows (taken from a note he wrote):-

"But what is most special about the American research university is that it is a place where the authority of ideas, rather than the idea of authority, reigns supreme."

He verbalised this in Davos and I have been entranced by it since. I don't necessarily agree with him that this holds only at the American research university. But I think the lesson to take away from this is that it should not be the idea of authority that pervades, but the authority of ideas. I don't think I can emphasize this enough. Throughout whatever, as long as you have a good idea, you will always have respect. This is not necessarily true of having authority, clearly. So, yes, I believe we should all submit critically and analytically to the authority of ideas. And that is why I believe that research is the way to go for me. The proliferation of new ideas and new knowledge, contributing to the knowledge commons wherever I can. The faithful submission to the authority of ideas.

No comments: