In the very first episode of Mad Men, "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes", Don Draper says, "Advertising is based on one thing - Happiness. You know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. It's freedom from fear. It's a billboard on the side of the road that screams reassurance that whatever you're doing...it's okay. You are okay." Of course, I don't need to tell you that he delivered the lines immaculately. But if you don't believe me, check this out.
In a previous post, I tried to describe what I think is the subtle difference between happiness and contentment. In my mind, this is best described in the book "Lady Audley's Secret" by Mary Elizabeth Bradden. The passage is so good that I think it bears repeating.
So, anyway, I got a copy
of the book and I started reading it. It's not very long. So it was a good way
to start an Independence Day morning.
And, I've come across
what is probably the most famous quote from this book some time before. But now
that I had the proper context for it and how it arose, I felt very provoked by
it. The quote goes, "When we got out of the tunnel, Sam screamed this
really funny scream, and there it was. Downtown. Lights on buildings and
everything makes you wonder. Sam sat down and started laughing. Patrick started
laughing. I started laughing. And
in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”
In a previous post, I tried to describe what I think is the subtle difference between happiness and contentment. In my mind, this is best described in the book "Lady Audley's Secret" by Mary Elizabeth Bradden. The passage is so good that I think it bears repeating.
"Let any man make a
calculation of his existence, subtracting the hours in which he has been thoroughly
happy — really and entirely at his ease, without one arriere pensee to mar his
enjoyment — without the most infinitesimal cloud to overshadow the brightness
of his horizon. Let him do this, and surely he will laugh in utter bitterness
of soul when he sets down the sum of his felicity, and discovers the pitiful
smallness of the amount. He will have enjoyed himself for a week or ten days in
thirty years, perhaps. In thirty years of dull December, and blustering March,
and showery April, and dark November weather, there may have been seven or
eight glorious August days through which the sun has blazed in cloudless
radiance, and the summer breezes have breathed perpetual balm. How fondly we
recollect these solitary days of pleasure, and hope for their recurrence, and
try to plan the circumstances that made them bright; and arrange, and
predestinate, and diplomatise with fate for a renewal of the remembered joy. As
if any joy could ever be built up out of such and such constituent parts! As if
happiness were not essentially accidental — a bright and wandering bird,
utterly irregular in its migrations; with us one summer's day, and forever gone
from us on the next!"
Today, I finished a book
called, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," written by Stephen Chbosky.
In case there was any lack of clarity as to why I chose to pick up the book,
let me start by saying I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie on Youtube. And
guess who's in it.
![]() |
| Really no prizes for guessing. |
![]() |
| This wasn't though. |
Of course, part of the
reason I love this quote is because I’m generally a big fan of city lights.
But, y’know, I think that bolded bit is a simple but great description of a
hyped-up version of what Don Draper was saying. I think, as people go through
things, it’s very rare to find moments like the one described in Lady Audley’s
Secret, where you feel pure contentment without a single thing bothering you at
all.
![]() |
| "A Song for Milly Michaelson" |
But I also think it is
exceedingly rare to find moments like the one described by Draper and the one
described in Perks. To be a bit more pedantic, I would say that the feeling
that Draper details out is the foundation for the one that Perks details.
First, you have to put yourself in a situation where you can think, “Whatever
it is that’s going on in my life, I am okay.” It’s sort of a way of saying that
while you may have all sorts of problems and issues going on with you, at that
moment, you really just could not give a crap about them. And I think it’s, as
Draper says, freedom from fear. And when you realize that you’re in a situation
that makes you feel that you couldn’t care less about your issues (in a good
way), then you can just enjoy yourself. And enjoy the moment. As well as how
you feel in that very moment. I think this is where Perks does a fantastic job.
Imagine, you’re cruising
with 2 of your favourite people in the world. You’re driving at night. The city
lights are all around you. There’s no traffic. You can go as fast as you like.
A song comes on that you all equally love and makes you all feel super hyped
up. Like, at that moment, you’re invincible. Totally and completely invincible.
The wind is in your hair and your face. You’re just soaking in everything
around you. You feel infinite.
It’s an amazing
description. When I read it, I could instantly identify exactly what feelings I
believed the author was trying to convey. In fairness, it’s a bit like that
song by Fun called “We Are Young” but I’m not particularly fond of that song.
It’s like you’re in the zone and you feel that nothing you do at that moment
could go wrong.
I think these are all
generally rare moments in life. I mean, I’m speaking obviously from my own
personal experience. I can’t think of many times in my life where I’ve felt
true contentment or when I’ve felt utterly invincible despite massive blots on
the radar screen or that sort of thing. Maybe I’m the lucky one in the sense
that some people may not have experienced these. Or maybe I’m the
emotionally-stunted one where these are actually fairly common for people. I
don’t know. But in any case, ‘infinite’ is a deeply profound feeling to have.
And certainly I hope to say at least once more in my life that, “In that
moment, I swear we were infinite.”



No comments:
Post a Comment