If it wasn't already clear from earlier posts, I flew solo on my recent Cape Town trip. While this isn't the first time I've travelled alone, nor will it be the last, this is probably the longest solo trip I've taken. And so, I have definitely had as much introvert time as I have ever had, as far as I can remember, which gives me a lot more time to just consider more things. As such, as the third quarter of my 4 part review of my recent Cape Town trip, I shall be providing some thoughts on (yup, you guessed it) the Pros and Cons of Solo Travel.
In general, I've always kind of been a fan of the DIY methods for most things. Given my Social Darwinist inclinations, it's fair to say that I don't always feel comfortable around people. Also, as the saying goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." It's therefore easy to see that solo travel would be something that appeals to me. After all, [Pro 1] I get to choose what I want to do whenever I want to do it, without regard for any travel companions.
This has its perks. For example, as you saw in my itinerary, I decided to take an overnight trip in a Safari. Most people would do a day trip. On the reserve that I went, the day trippers go out to the reserve at 10.30am and get back at 1.30pm. So, they do the midday drive. If you do an overnight stay, you get to drive out at dusk and dawn, which is when most animals are most active. Check 'em out.
So, if I had to travel with travel companions, I may not have gotten to do the overnight trip as it may be considered overkill. But then, I would've missed this sunset:-
Or this sunrise:-
And, of course, no safari would be complete without Simba and Nala:-
Okay, so that's Pro 1. Which leads us to Con 1. Did you see the sunrise and sunset earlier? And did you see my pictures from the Cape of Good Hope and Table Mountain? Needless to say, those scenes, viewing live, were breathtaking. And yes, of course I can take pictures, but it doesn't compare to being there. In that moment. With that exact temperature. And that exact breeze. And the exact view. I'm not a good photographer and hence I would be completely useless at capturing the emotions or feelings that are invoked while viewing that scene. The only way to get someone to really understand is for that person to be there as well. To be able to share what exactly it is I think or feel when I'm seeing something. When you travel alone, [Con 1] you can't share it.
Speaking of not being able to share, [Con 2] solo travel also means that you can't split costs for hotel rooms, taxis and that sort of thing. That said, it wasn't as if I was on a super duper tight budget. I had some flexibility but it would have been nice to be able to split costs. But then again, on the nights that I wanted to do something a little more pricey, like a steak dinner or watching movies, I didn't have to worry if it was within my travel companion's budget. While I understand that some people prefer to watch their Rands when travelling, I would prefer not to travel with someone who's overly tight. So, by travelling alone, [Pro 2] the only finances I have to worry about are my own.
To go along with that though, [Pro 3] it is also nice to have a room to myself. I can bring back food without having to worry if anyone is going to care about the smell. I can set the alarm whenever I want. I can horde the pillows. I can stash my stuff wherever I like. I don't have to wait my turn for the bathroom. This is an important pro.
But that said, a solo traveller kind of needs to be able to be by themselves for long periods of time (duh). I mean, given my disinclination for hitting bars and clubs, even more so being alone in a seriously unfamiliar country, I spent a fair amount of time in my room. Most nights, I was back in the room by, say, 9pm or so. It works for me, because I like to relax at the end of the day on a holiday, rather than go out again. I much prefer unwinding vacations. But that's just me. I got to do some reading, some writing and I watched the Game of Thrones. So, if you're more extroverted than I am (which isn't difficult), this form of solo travel may not work for you. Especially if you need someone to talk to all the time or that sort of thing.
While as I mentioned, you can't share moments of awe and wonder which is a downer, there are many times where I personally don't really like to be disturbed in my thoughts as well. As in, "Leave me alone, I just want to feel some form of tranquility."
Take for example, the winelands:-
I got to do some wine-tasting as part of the daily tour thingy. And the scenery of the winelands is beautiful. In a very different way from the Cape of Good Hope and Table Mountain. While those sort of inspire awe, this landscape inspires more calm and serenity. [Pro 4] It was nice to just get lost in soaking in the view and in my own thoughts without having anyone to bug me. One of the things that usually comes to mind is Stephen King's explanation of life being a 'wheel' in 'It'. Basically, at some point in the past, you would've looked forward to sort of imagine what you might become. And, once you reach maybe that point in the future, you'll look back to see how you got there - "To think that what has looked forward must also look back, and that each life makes its own imitation of immortality; a wheel." It really is quite profound.
Anyway, another [Con 3] con of travelling alone is I generally don't like to be alone in a photograph. I always prefer to be in with at least one other person. Not because I'm shy or anything:-
But, more like, if I print out a photo of just me, knowing that I'm on a solo travel trip, and frame it up, I think it's pretty narcissistic. Or egotistical. Or both. And given that my ego is already at massive levels, it wouldn't make sense to add to it. I mean, I keep pictures of family and friends, because I enjoy looking at those pictures of people I care about. If it's just a picture of me, I think that's pretty weird.
Also, I have headphones on because I like to have introspective music on when I'm visiting sites that are pretty awe-inspiring. That picture was taken atop Table Mountain. For the record, I had Iron and Wine's "Trapeze Swinger" on. Would I have been [Pro 5] able to keep my headphones on, maximising introspective-ness, if I had a travel companion to constantly layan? Unlikely. And while much introspection can lead a person to ponder the good bits of a person's life, the flipside is that a person could also consider aspects of a person's life where they could do better. Purely hypothetically, stuff like, "Why haven't I accomplished anything even though I'm 28?" or "I'm stuck in an endless cycle of deadbeat jobs," or "What is the point to life, the universe, everything (besides 42)?" or to quote Iron and Wine, "I heard from someone you're still pretty." [Con 4] Too much of that isn't usually a good thing but that's usually the result of being alone too much as well.
That said, introspective music also tends to work better in more temperate temperatures (see what I did there?). Add mist. Add winds. And hey, you've got an awesome wistful thinking time (see what I did there?). Check out this road leading down Table Mountain:-
Wistful thinking time doesn't really work as well on a clear day. Cos, well, you might as well enjoy the day more. And there's a much less melancholy sort of feel to the day. And with houses like these, in Cape Town's Malay Quarter (rightfully, it should be Indonesian cos the people are mostly descended from Indonesia), how can you feel down?
But, y'know, all the 4 cons...
1. Unable to share moments of awe with somebody
2. Unable to split costs
3. Having someone else in a photograph
4. Too much introspection
...can be remedied with a really good travel buddy. Someone who understand and sees through the master plan. And of course, someone who kinda wants to do the stuff you want to do, isn't overly cautious on pennies, someone interesting to talk to, that sort of thing. This sort of person is usually great for all sorts of travel - tours, road trips, trains etc etc.
That said, am I happy to travel solo all over again? Absolutely. The Pros outweigh Cons by far. And bloody hell, I get to go where I want to go. But that's not to say that a good travel partner could make a trip way more enjoyable. Stay tuned for Part 4.
In general, I've always kind of been a fan of the DIY methods for most things. Given my Social Darwinist inclinations, it's fair to say that I don't always feel comfortable around people. Also, as the saying goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." It's therefore easy to see that solo travel would be something that appeals to me. After all, [Pro 1] I get to choose what I want to do whenever I want to do it, without regard for any travel companions.
This has its perks. For example, as you saw in my itinerary, I decided to take an overnight trip in a Safari. Most people would do a day trip. On the reserve that I went, the day trippers go out to the reserve at 10.30am and get back at 1.30pm. So, they do the midday drive. If you do an overnight stay, you get to drive out at dusk and dawn, which is when most animals are most active. Check 'em out.
| Homeboys just chillin' like villains |
| Buffalo pack. Those horns could really rip you a new one. |
Or this sunrise:-
| This reminds me a bit of the Lion King |
| A friend thinks this picture of the buffalo butts is cute |
| That horn is apparently the 11th most expensive material in the world |
| I'm quite pleased with this picture, if I do say so myself |
And, of course, no safari would be complete without Simba and Nala:-
| Apparently the lions will attack the vehicle if we get too close |
Speaking of not being able to share, [Con 2] solo travel also means that you can't split costs for hotel rooms, taxis and that sort of thing. That said, it wasn't as if I was on a super duper tight budget. I had some flexibility but it would have been nice to be able to split costs. But then again, on the nights that I wanted to do something a little more pricey, like a steak dinner or watching movies, I didn't have to worry if it was within my travel companion's budget. While I understand that some people prefer to watch their Rands when travelling, I would prefer not to travel with someone who's overly tight. So, by travelling alone, [Pro 2] the only finances I have to worry about are my own.
To go along with that though, [Pro 3] it is also nice to have a room to myself. I can bring back food without having to worry if anyone is going to care about the smell. I can set the alarm whenever I want. I can horde the pillows. I can stash my stuff wherever I like. I don't have to wait my turn for the bathroom. This is an important pro.
But that said, a solo traveller kind of needs to be able to be by themselves for long periods of time (duh). I mean, given my disinclination for hitting bars and clubs, even more so being alone in a seriously unfamiliar country, I spent a fair amount of time in my room. Most nights, I was back in the room by, say, 9pm or so. It works for me, because I like to relax at the end of the day on a holiday, rather than go out again. I much prefer unwinding vacations. But that's just me. I got to do some reading, some writing and I watched the Game of Thrones. So, if you're more extroverted than I am (which isn't difficult), this form of solo travel may not work for you. Especially if you need someone to talk to all the time or that sort of thing.
While as I mentioned, you can't share moments of awe and wonder which is a downer, there are many times where I personally don't really like to be disturbed in my thoughts as well. As in, "Leave me alone, I just want to feel some form of tranquility."
Take for example, the winelands:-
| Peace |
Anyway, another [Con 3] con of travelling alone is I generally don't like to be alone in a photograph. I always prefer to be in with at least one other person. Not because I'm shy or anything:-
| Gratuitous picture of me in my Mather sweatshirt. |
But, more like, if I print out a photo of just me, knowing that I'm on a solo travel trip, and frame it up, I think it's pretty narcissistic. Or egotistical. Or both. And given that my ego is already at massive levels, it wouldn't make sense to add to it. I mean, I keep pictures of family and friends, because I enjoy looking at those pictures of people I care about. If it's just a picture of me, I think that's pretty weird.
Also, I have headphones on because I like to have introspective music on when I'm visiting sites that are pretty awe-inspiring. That picture was taken atop Table Mountain. For the record, I had Iron and Wine's "Trapeze Swinger" on. Would I have been [Pro 5] able to keep my headphones on, maximising introspective-ness, if I had a travel companion to constantly layan? Unlikely. And while much introspection can lead a person to ponder the good bits of a person's life, the flipside is that a person could also consider aspects of a person's life where they could do better. Purely hypothetically, stuff like, "Why haven't I accomplished anything even though I'm 28?" or "I'm stuck in an endless cycle of deadbeat jobs," or "What is the point to life, the universe, everything (besides 42)?" or to quote Iron and Wine, "I heard from someone you're still pretty." [Con 4] Too much of that isn't usually a good thing but that's usually the result of being alone too much as well.
That said, introspective music also tends to work better in more temperate temperatures (see what I did there?). Add mist. Add winds. And hey, you've got an awesome wistful thinking time (see what I did there?). Check out this road leading down Table Mountain:-
| Mist is so much cooler than haze. Well, duh. |
Wistful thinking time doesn't really work as well on a clear day. Cos, well, you might as well enjoy the day more. And there's a much less melancholy sort of feel to the day. And with houses like these, in Cape Town's Malay Quarter (rightfully, it should be Indonesian cos the people are mostly descended from Indonesia), how can you feel down?
| I thought this was pretty nifty, to be fair. |
1. Unable to share moments of awe with somebody
2. Unable to split costs
3. Having someone else in a photograph
4. Too much introspection
...can be remedied with a really good travel buddy. Someone who understand and sees through the master plan. And of course, someone who kinda wants to do the stuff you want to do, isn't overly cautious on pennies, someone interesting to talk to, that sort of thing. This sort of person is usually great for all sorts of travel - tours, road trips, trains etc etc.
That said, am I happy to travel solo all over again? Absolutely. The Pros outweigh Cons by far. And bloody hell, I get to go where I want to go. But that's not to say that a good travel partner could make a trip way more enjoyable. Stay tuned for Part 4.
No comments:
Post a Comment