Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Jetsons gets real

I. Fricking. Love. Technology.

That's right, an invention so amazing I had to pull a one-word-per-sentence-sentence for the first time on this blog. The greatest thing about the nature of the future is, to me, simply that nearly anything is possible. But, hold that thought for a minute - let me disprove the notion that anything is possible.

Proposition: The statement "Anything is possible" is false.
Proof: Suppose "Anything is possible." If "anything" were possible, then the impossible must also be possible. This is a logical contradiction. Therefore, the statement, "Anything is possible," must be false.

But anyway. So, the thing is nearly anything is possible. And we're already starting to see it. Through innovation, invention and human curiousity (possibly humanity's greatest trait), we've got stuff like widely-marketed touch pads, TV on our phones, carbon-neutral buildings, whatever. And, soon, the single coolest invention of the last 100 years:-


Source: The Economist

A. Flying. Car.

That's right. The second time. And in one post. How incredible is this? According to the Economist,

"The Transition is perhaps best described as a road plane, rather than a flying car. It is essentially a small, $279,000 plane that has been designed to be legally roadworthy. Push a button and the wings fold up, allowing the pilot to start driving it like a car. It even runs on petrol, with a range of 600 miles (1,000km) on the ground or 400 miles in the air. Around 100 aircraft have been reserved, and the first is due to be delivered later this year."
Full article here.

Okay, maybe it's not exactly a "flying car." But, HEY, that's the next step of evolution right? While I think there might be people who say that the notion of a full-on flying car is crazy, I not-so-humbly beg to differ. I think that the notion that there won't be a flying car is crazy. After everything that technology has given us, from things imagined and unimagined, it's a fool who would bet against such an invention.

And what happens then? Well, ignoring the human driving frailties, consider the change in transport structure. Who's going to organise the airways? How would people not just crash into each other? And what happens to immigration when people can just fly over borders? Would anything in the world ever be unexplored save the deep ocean abyss (and even that is going to get explored one day)? And how about space travel?

See, the possibilities available are amazing. And the best part of it is, for every thought that currently exists, there are heaps and heaps more that the current crop of humanity has yet to conceive. There will be more mindblowing inventions. And, sure, I won't be around to see it (Well, if we believe in technology, then I might well be. Who knows? Maybe the question shouldn't be, "How will I die?" but "Will I die?"). Maybe humans will get to explore, themselves, beyond our solar system. Maybe we will have an invention that performs a "Ctrl F" for us in real life. Maybe we will have teleportation devices. Maybe there will be a fricking champagne supernova in the sky (sorry, couldn't resist). I don't know. What I am confident of, however, is that human curiousity will just drive innovation and technology further and further. The Jetsons, may you continue to inspire the rest of us.

No comments: