My favourite explanation for the ending of the Mayan calendar on December 21, 2012.

From an economic point of view, it looks to be a quite, quite exciting year ahead. We've got crunch time for the Eurozone coming up. China is battling a host of will they/won't they questions on a 'hard landing' for their GDP growth (Answer: In all likelihood, a soft landing). The US needs to restore confidence in the consumer base as well as investors in their economy. Malaysia will need to prove that it can hit the 5% growth target that the government looks for.
Politically, Obama faces a re-election campaign. China will undergo a transition in their leadership. Malaysia has (again, in all likelihood) an upcoming general elections in 2012. All in all, a really interesting year.
But, that's not what I'm here to talk about. Not for now, anyway. Instead, the "Things" within this list are from more fun culture stuff. Why? Cos it's New Year's Eve and I couldn't be fussed to talk about more serious stuff. So there. As you will see, this list is dominated by movies.
12. American Reunion

The 3 American Pie movies (American Pie, American Pie 2, American Wedding) are cult flicks in the US. And so, they're cult flicks to me too. And the cool thing about American Reunion is that they've got all the old characters back! Of course, Jim, Michelle, Stifler, Finch and Kevin (who were in all 3) are back. But now, we have Oz, Heather, Nadia, Jessica and Vicki as well! Fun times ahead, ahoy!
11. The Avengers

As we all know, I quite like superheroes. And granted, this is no Justice League which would have me frothing at the mouth. But it's still cool, nonetheless. We got Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk (voiced by Lou Ferrigno no less!), Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson, sexiest woman ever). We're going to have a rocking time. For the record, I vacillated between American Reunion and the Avengers somewhere between 75-100 times for this. Let's just call them 11 and 11A and move on.
10. Rise of the Guardians

Here's all you need to know about this movie:- "Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Jack Frost and the Sandman band together to form a united front against the Bogeyman." Plus, they've got Wolverine, Captain Kirk, John Watson, Jack Donaghy and the Shopaholic doing the voices. How cool is that?
9. The Amazing Spiderman

While I've never been the biggest fan of Spiderman (can't operate outside a city, he's way too wimpy, higher tendency to shirk responsibility, can't hold a steady job etc etc), I'm really quite keen on this movie. Why? Emma Stone as Spidey's original sweetheart, Gwen Stacy. Also, it's a complete reboot (regardless of whatever the studios might say) where they plan to form a more complete story. What's not to like?
8. The Raven

Right from IMDB - "A fictionalized account of the last days of Edgar Allan Poe's life, in which the poet pursues a serial killer whose murders mirror those in the writer's stories." I think Edgar Allan Poe is great. I totally enjoy his stories. I think this has the potential to be super dark (ala Zodiac and Se7en). A really cool mystery thriller to look forward to (my 2nd favourite type of movies).
7. Lob City
Quite possibly, the coolest NBA phrase for a long, long, long time. Now that the best point guard in the world, Chris Paul, is in the LA Clippers along with the most exciting young dunker in the world, Blake Griffin, and the second most exciting young dunker in the world DeAndre Jordan (no relation to you-know-who (not Voldemort)), there's gonna be tonnes of Alley Oops in LA. The Clippers have suddenly become must-watch TV. Check out the video above to see teamwork and athleticism in one explosive sequence (It's only 35 seconds).
6. Breaking Dawn Part 2

Just kidding. Checking to see if you were paying attention. Let's move on.
6. The US Olympics Basketball Team 2012

20 years after the Dream Team (see pic), the NBA has the best concentration of talent possibly, ever, or at least, since the late 80s/early 90s. Having Redeemed themselves in Beijing 2008, the US will seek to consolidate themselves as the top dogs in global basketball. The more intriguing and exciting question is - who will make the team? My guess - Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose.
The great thing about this team is there are gonna be some serious rivalry between some players due to playoff matchups and all-round bad blood. Practice is gonna be played epicly by pissed off players. We have Rose vs Lebron/Bosh/Wade. CP3 vs Kobe. Durant vs Kobe. Durant vs Lebron/Bosh/Wade. Awesome times.
5. Lebron and Wade with the Eff You Edge

While I think the Miami Heat are the embodiment of evil (and thus, every game can be thought of as a battle between good and evil with good triumphing in June 2011 but looking completely crappy in late December), I am always bursting with excitement to watch athletes (or people) play (or work) with an Eff You edge. Wade and Lebron are pissed off. Everyone hates them. Everyone loved to see them lose. Everyone indulged in making fun of them. Instead of trying to be nice to everyone and be a good guy, why not get pissed off and just Keyser Soze the crap out of everyone? Essentially, the Eff You edge is where an athlete or a team locks itself into Keyser Soze mode for a season and takes out their frustrations from a previous collapse on other teams, basically obliterating oppositions with no mercy. I think Lebron and Wade have the Eff You edge this season. And it should be a thrill to watch and root against.
4. Euro 2012

To me, there is no bigger sporting event in the world in 2012 other than the Euros. Yes, I know the Olympics will be held in 2012 as well. But I would be happy to bet that there are more rabid fans who watch Euro 2012 than there are who watch the Olympics. Anyway, it should be a fun tournament. Always good to have bets on (assuming gambling were legal). Plus, I thought UEFA should have worked a better twist. Instead of a Group of Death, have a Group of Debt with Greece, Ireland, Spain, Italy with the winner of the group getting all their debts forgiven instantaneously. Now THAT would be a truly bloody bloodbath. Okay, Econo-nerd off.
3. BBC's Sherlock

Everyone knows I love Sherlock Holmes. And everyone knows I will stab you repeatedly in the jugular with a blunt fork if you don't watch the BBC TV Series Sherlock. Well, Series 2 will be out in 2012. And on the 1st of January 2012 no less! With a greater focus on the canon (episode titles are based on "A Scandal in Bohemia", "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and "The Final Problem"), this series looks to be even more brilliant than the first round. Remember, if you don't watch it, you stand to get stabbed in the jugular.
2. The Dark Knight Rises

Seeing as the Dark Knight is one of my favourite movies ever, it makes sense that this would be something I'm super-duper-extra excited for. In fact, I'm so excited that I'm thinking of cryogenically freezing myself after the release of the third episode of the Sherlock series (January 15th) till the release of the Dark Knight Rises on July 20. Granted, the Dark Knight has given me super duper high expectation for the Dark Knight Rises and I might ultimately be disappointed. But, y'know, sometimes, it's not the thing itself that gets you excited but the potential of the thing. And as far as the Dark Knight Rises goes, the potential for an unbelievable film with social commentary on the human condition is limitless.
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Duh. Like there could be anything else. Remember how I would unfreeze myself for the Dark Knight Rises? Well, I would freeze myself after that to avoid having to wait another 5 months for the Hobbit which comes out December 14 (Thanks Mayans for choosing Apocalypse a week later!). The single most exciting thing about 2012 for me.
Essentially, my plans for next year will now revolve around the cryogenics. Kindly inform me should you know of any centers that provide cryogenic freezing purposes. Else, I would have to do the Eric Cartman thing of getting myself frozen in a really cold place. Awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment