
For those of you who attended the recent choir show in which I participated (thanks!), this title was one of the songs we sang. And to be perfectly frank, the main reason I joined the choir, regardless of whatever I say about girls and how moms have daughters, is simply that it was going to do a Christmas performance.
You see, I love Christmas. I always have and always do. For all the public holidays that we get in Malaysia and whatnot, Christmas is always the one that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I could listen to Christmas songs all day. Really, I could. My 3 favourite are:-
1. Deck the Halls
2. Winter Wonderland (of Snow)
3. Silent Night
I love Christmas. I always do. For all the public holidays that we get in Malaysia and whatnot, Christmas is always the one that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I could listen to Christmas songs all day. Really, I could. My 3 favourite are:-
1. Deck the Halls
2. Winter Wonderland
3. Silent Night
I think when I listen to the more mellow Christmas songs, (i.e. Silent Night, Joy to the World, Little Drummer Boy), the more fuzzy I feel. Christmas somehow gives me this feeling that I can’t really describe. It feels good. I think it’s as close as I’ll get to believing in a higher being, or Christianity for that matter.
This excerpt from Archie Comics really explains how I feel really, really well:-
----
Moose: How wonderful and magical snow is. Isn’t it amazing that one tiny snowflake can’t be held in your hand without melting but carries a big punch when they’re packed into a snowball? I love how the whole town becomes so still and quiet and after a big snowfall, it looks like a big white blanket that covers everything. The trees are all dressed sparkling.
Dilton: A very interesting observation, Moose.
Moose: When I look at icicles - I see them as the biggest, shiniest diamonds. Even the richest person doesn’t have that.
Dilton: I never knew! You have the soul of a poet.
Moose: Wait, there’s more I see. I imagine myself on the moon.
Dilton: How do you see that, Moose?
Moose: Well, did you notice after it snows, how every footprint in the snow looks like the footsteps on the moon?
Dilton: You’re right. I didn’t look at it that way.
Moose: And when it’s snowing very hard and everybody is snug indoors, loaded with popcorn, watching the roaring fire and feeling so comfy cozy; when I stare at the fire, I see all kinds of pictures in the flames. I see Santa Claus and I feel warm all over because it makes me want to wish everybody a Merry Christmas.
---
Christmas is not really a religious occasion for me. It's more cultural, admittedly. I love that it's the season of giving (though, in fairness, giving should be extended beyond just one day in December). I love the very specified music. I love Santa Claus. I love gift exchanges. All that stuff that comes with Christmas. I mean, I understand it's supposed to be a religious occasion and the true meaning of Christmas is the birth of Jesus but to quote Abed from Community:
"The meaning of Christmas is the idea that Christmas has meaning and it can mean whatever we want."
And it’s really at Christmas that I really believe in goodwill to men and the whole Christmas spirit thing. And that people really are decent. I suppose it’s rather naive and rather fanciful, given that it’s based on a warm, fuzzy feeling I get but I really can’t help it. And you know, given my predilection to generally suppress any form of warm, fuzzy feelings, it really makes me happy that I refuse to suppress the warm, fuzzy feeling that Christmas brings.
And you know what, despite how illogical or how unfounded it might seem, I’m happy to believe in Santa Claus. I love the idea of Santa Claus, and you know, deep deep deep down, I really hope that Santa Claus is real.

Merry Christmas everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment