Saturday, November 12, 2011

Quotes I (try to) live by aka My Favourite Quotes

I've always wondered how people come up with inspiring quotes. I mean, a quote is generally simple enough. But to come up with something that actually inspires others is quite another thing altogether.

Another of my "Things-to-do-on-the-internet-when-you-don't-really-have-anything-else-to-do" is simply to look for quotes online which really inspire me. Some are things I just try to live by and some are things which, on a bad day, I can read and remind myself that, "Hey, this world may be an ugly place, but life is beautiful." These mean quite a fair bit to me. I hope they inspire you somewhat too.

Speaking of inspiring, Christmas is coming!


Right-o. To the quotes then!

Quotes for a Bad Day

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” - Jacob Riis

"Get out of here and move forward. It never happened. It will shock you how much it never happened." - Don Draper

"The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet." - Stephen King in The Stand

"Don’t worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we’ll all float on" - Modest Mouse (Doubles up as a Bad Day song as well)

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Teddy Roosevelt (Working in the Government, I find I need this quite a fair bit)

Not all boats which sail away into darkness never find the sun again, or the hand of another child...Drive away and try to keep smiling. Get a little rock and roll on the radio and go toward all the life there is with all the courage you can find and all the belief you can muster. Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness. - It, Stephen King

Not really a quote but I find it helps on bad days

"To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star"

- Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes

Not really a quote but something I try to live by

"O joy of suffering!
To struggle against great odds! to meet enemies undaunted!
To be entirely alone with them! to find how much one can stand!
To look strife, torture, prison, popular odium, death, face to face!
To mount the scaffold! to advance to the muzzles of guns with perfect nonchalance!
To be indeed a God!"

- Poem of Joys, Walt Whitman

Quotes I try to live by

"Forget about likes and dislikes. They are of no consequence. Just do what must be done. This may not be happiness but it is greatness." – George Bernard Shaw

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, To put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die Discover that I had not lived." - Henry David Thoreau (Paraphrased version from Dead Poet's Society)

“He described the time he met Brady and the sense he got that Brady would do anything to win, even if it meant eternal damnation of his soul. To be the best, repeatedly, to sustain greatness and deliver in the clutch again and again, requires an abnormal mind, borderline sociopathic. As Thomas put it, “You have to be willing to go to dark places.”" - Description on Isiah Thomas describing Tom Brady

"What Grover the teacher had learned from Jordan the pupil was the most critical lesson of all, the price for greatness: Only from endlessly practiced technique, enabled by carefully stored-up energy and singularly determined training habits, did great last-second shots go in. If there was one thing in the world a shot like that was not about, it was luck." - Description of Tim Grover's (Michael Jordan's personal trainer) thoughts on Michael Jordan

"It’s better to regret what we did do than to regret that we didn’t do" - Can’t remember where.

"I listened, I was aware of my success, but I never stopped trying to get better" - Michael Jordan

Big Picture life quotes

“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” - Gandalf, by J.R.R. Tolkein (A very, very good reminder that we can't do everything and we should do what we can)

"Life is good and life goes on" - Master Splinter, the Ninja Turtles

"All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise." - Blackbird, The Beatles.

Christmas is the Best Time of the YEAR!!

No comments: