a) Ice Cream Shops (Pop's Chocklit Shoppe from Archie Comics)
b) Diners
c) Roller skating discos
d) Small town America (like in Super 8)
e) Hamburgers and Fries
f) Cookouts
g) Tire Swings hanging from trees
h) Hammocks
And so on.
But there's another part of a culture which is also crucial. Its folk songs. Like for Malaysians, I'd argue that something that unites us, or rather, something that we're all familiar with is a song like Rasa Sayang. Or Anak Ayam. Or Lenggang Kangkung. Or Geylang Si Paku Geylang. You get the point. At the very least, it would be super difficult for me to believe that there is a Malaysian, who grew up in Malaysia, who has not heard of Rasa Sayang.
Well, if you haven't, here's my favourite version:-
I recognise that this can be counted as propaganda but still.
Anyway, over the last few days, I have been, looping, besides Blink 182, American folk songs. I don't know why. I guess the Americana I have in my head is a very idealised one which probably no longer exists and the only way I can experience the 'Americana' feeling is through these songs. Lol, just kidding. No psychoanalysis required here. I just like these songs. Anyway, this is an American folk song that I think most people would know. I'm not so sure if most people have heard it being sang as a real song rather than a children's song.
Oh my Darling, Clementine
It's actually a rather morbid song. And having been called as 'dark' before, of course I love it. Check these lyrics out:-
"She drove ducklings to the water
Every morning just at 9
Hit her foot against the splinter
Fell into the foamy brine
Ruby lips above the water
Blowing bubbles soft and fine
Lest for Clem, he was no swimmer
So he lost his Clementine"
Basically, it talks about a miner's daughter (49-er) who drowned. As a side note, I think 49-er is the best hidden phrase to refer to the type of person of whom Kanye West and Jamie Foxx sang about. "Damn, your girl's a 49-er yo!"
Tom Dooley
Another really cool folk song I like is a song called Tom Dooley, again, about death. And hanging. Brilliant eh?
Excerpts of lyrics:-
"Hang down your head, Tom Dooley
Hang down your head and cry
Hang down your head, Tom Dooley
Poor boy, you're bound to die
Met her on the mountain
There I took her life
Met her on the mountain
And stabbed her with my knife
This time tomorrow
Reckon where I'll be
Down in some lonesome valley
Hanging from a white oak tree"
500 Miles Away From Home
In keeping with the trend of darkness and doom and gloom, here's another song I like. In fact, I play this song quite often. It feels melancholy. And a 'never look back' kind of song, I suppose.
Comes down to this:- "If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone."
Anyway, I think it's really difficult to get to know a culture if you don't explore their folk music as well. I mean, there's got to be a reason why the stories in these songs were handed down over the years right? I don't think it's just the music; I mean, come on, this is basically country music even for the country musician.
Americana, baby. Americana.

Well, not all Americana.
No comments:
Post a Comment