Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Good Evening, Bangkok

See, I love Malaysia. However I feel about Boston or New York City or whatever, I'm happiest at home. I mean, when I compare what I have here versus what I have there, it's no contest, really.

The mall in which I pretty much grew up has always been one of my favourite haunts. 1 Utama has everything. Cinema, fairly-stocked book store to just laze for a couple of hours, Intenci...oh wait, nevermind, and Good Evening Bangkok.

God, I love the place. It's located on the Ground Floor of the New Wing by the Rainforest area. I've been going there for a few years now, mostly with Zulie and Liyana, 2 awesome eating buddies. And we all love this place.

We usually get the same stuff. I think a must-have is the Seafood Tomyam Soup (not the clear one, just get the regular one). One bowl can be shared between two people. Personally, I prefer sharing with Liyana cos she doesn't eat seafood. Awesome. The soup is spicy enough such that there's a kick to it, but not overly spicy to the point where you don't really want to have more of it.



The soup alone is enough to have with rice, actually. But, natcherly, we go for more. The other thing we generally get is Pandan Chicken!



The Pandan Chicken here is usually very tender and somehow blends perfectly with the Tomyam soup. I mean, they're both equally good on their own, but together, it's like magic. A good analogy would be that the Chicken is like Xavi and the soup is like Andres Iniesta, and together, they form a potent combo. No? Not feeling this analogy? Nevermind, moving on...

Since we had a Fourth for this outing (Vanessa), we got a 3rd dish (well, 4th, but I hardly count their stupid Kangkong as a dish. It's like saying Edward Cullen is a real vampire) which was the Green Curry Chicken. And holy shit, it's good.



The curry is spicy. And good spicy too. Blending the curry, with the soup, and using that as gravy for the chicken, and it's like the feeling when you win a huge poker pot, your team wins the European Cup and you score the girl of your dreams, except all three things happen simultaneously, and in your mouth. That sounded dodgy, but I'm just saying it's awesome.


Xavi + Iniesta + Messi = This

The downside though is that this place is pricey. It costs about 40 bucks per person per meal, so it's a little expensive to be going there often. Plus, if you went there often and kept ordering these, your brain would explode from pure delicious-ness. But every now and then, it's a grand place to go for some great food at the world's greatest mall (completely objective).

Overall, I give this a barnstorming 9/10. And oh, as was suggested by my buddy, Zain, I now have an arbitrary price ranking for the restaurants. Just to be a bit creative, here are my 4 categories:-

C.Chew = Cheap = RM 15 and below
Mid-Level Exception = Moderate = RM16-RM25
Puerto Rican Specialty Factory = Pricey = RM26-RM50
Firebolt Broom = Expensive = RM51 above

So, clearly, as I told you the prices earlier, this one is classified under Puerto Rican Specialty Factory. As a parting shot,THE DORKS WILL ONE DAY INHERIT THE EARTH SO TAKE THAT!

5 comments:

hex said...

ive actually nv tried this place. know i feel like i should.

hex said...

*now sorry.

zulie said...

one of the yummiest thai food place. can't wait for our next makan session!

ps: kangkung belacan is not a stupid dish.

Anonymous said...

ha ha i wish all 3 would happen in my mouth

zain

liyana said...

omg. hx, u gotta go and try this place.

it's true what nick wrote, when that tomyam blends with the green curry topped up with the pandan chicken (and in the case of zulie and i; swirled with the not-so-stupid kangkong dish).... it's like... magic. it's like... seeing snow for the first time kind of magic, really. hahaha.

can't wait to go there again dude. zulie, u better get back here soon!! :)